Recently Read Book

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Previously, I gave “The Kite Runner” 4.5 zombie heads. That was a good story. Heartbreak, regret, redemption. This one? Meh.

It’s a brief history of modern-day Afghanistan featuring people beating the shit out of each other, either physically or emotionally. The first 80% builds the characters and relationships pretty well, even if it’s difficult (for me) to relate to them. Then, it’s as if Hosseini discovered he didn’t know what to do with them, so he rushes through the remaining 20% tying up the loose ends he’s created. There’s no “emotional reward” for the reader; it’s *bing* this happens, *bam* here’s an effortless concept, *boom* you’re done… buy my next one, too.

Skip it.

3

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s